At CRM Group, our activities are centred on the production, transformation, coating and use of metallic materials. Since 1948, we offer R&D and technology solutions focusing on the development of innovative processes and products that create value for our industrial partners.
Our group combines skilled and experienced research teams with unparalleled testing facilities covering the whole manufacture chain of metals, from raw materials to advanced steel applications, ranging in size from laboratory scale to pilot and even semi-industrial production lines.
The ID&AS department (Innovative Design & Assembly Solutions) is active in the field of mechanical design but also has an expertise in welding, additive manufacturing and the associated testing for quality assurance. The following technologies and services are therefore available :
1 : Research and studies regarding welding
Comparative studies regarding different welding technologies.
Feasibility studies and welding parameter development for various applications, materials etc.
Preparation and support for industrialisation and technology implementation.
Providing support to innovation activities concerning welding and metallic materials.
Equipment for various fusion and solid state welding technologies is available e.g. SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, PAW, RW, EBW, LBW, RFW, FSW.
2 : Destructive and non-destructive testing
Realization of non-destructive testing e.g. visual inspection, liquid penetrant testing, radiography, magnetic testing and ultrasonic inspection.
Realization of destructive testing e.g. tensile and bending testing, fracture and fracture toughness testing, metallography and hardness testing.
Specific measurements and inspections such as residuals stress measurements, leak testing, pressure testing etc.
ISO 17025 accredited lab for a variety of tests.
3 : Qualification of welding personnel and welding procedures according to ISO or ASME IX code
4 : Hybrid & Additive Manufacturing (AM)
Performing activities across the whole value chain such as :
- Development and characterization of new alloys (wire and powder)
- Developments and applications based on Direct Energy Deposition technology (DED) supported by 2 laser cladding machines (2kW and 10kW), a WAAM machine (wire arc additive manufacturing) and even a hybrid robot installation that can apply laser cladding, WAAM and WLAM (wire laser additive manufacturing)
- Performing studies comparing AM with conventional technology (or hybrid solutions)
- Heat treatments and surface post processing (tribo-finishing, chemical polishing, electrolytic polishing , electrolytic plasma polishing, ...)
- Characterization by conventional techniques and development of particular solutions for validating the resistance against wear, corrosion (stress corrosion cracking) etc.