How Ultrasound Bearing Inspection Works
Mechanical movements produce a wide spectrum of sound. One of the major contributors to excessive stress in machinery is friction. Ultrasound instruments detect friction. By focusing on a narrow band of high frequencies, the Ultraprobe from UE Systems detects subtle changes in amplitude and sound quality produced by operating equipment. It then heterodynes these normally undetectable sounds down into the audible range where they are heard through headphones and observed on a display panel for trending, comparison, and analysis.
It has been established that ultrasound monitoring provides early warning of bearing failure. Various stages of bearing failure have been established. An 8 dB gain over baseline indicates pre-failure or lack of lubrication. A 12 dB increase establishes the very beginning of the failure mode. A 16 dB gain indicates advanced failure condition while a 35-50 dB gain warns of catastrophic failure. For those who utilize ultrasound spectral analysis, these conditions can often be observed through both FFT and time series analysis.
Ultrasonic Bearing Inspection Methods
There are three methods for ultrasonic bearing monitoring:
• Comparative: Compare same type bearings and note deviations, easy & fast to do
• Historical: Establish a trend over time of measured values with the help of DMS Software
• Analytical: Utilize Spectralyser software with the integrated bearing fault calculator
DMS, Data Management Software
With the Historical method & using the DMS Software we are able to also program alarm levels in our data points:
• Establish a baseline reading
• 1st alarm = indication of lack of lubrication
• 2nd alarm = early warning of bearing failure
After an upload of new data from a route, reporting functions in the software will help you to produce fast and easy a lubrication report.
Avoiding over-lubrication with UE Systems Grease Caddy
As many as 60 to 80 percent of all bearing failures (catastrophic, functional and premature) are lubrication-related: whether it’s poor lubricant selection, poor application, lubricant contamination or lubricant degradation. In addition to selecting the correct lubricant, use UE Systems’ ultrasound instruments to identify a lack of lubrication and prevent over lubrication conditions.
Set a baseline for each bearing, test routinely to note decibel increases. When a bearing reaches an 8 dB gain over baseline with no change in sound quality, it is in need of lubrication. When applying lubricant, stop when the dB level drops to baseline. It is that easy!
The UE Systems Grease Caddy is an instrument developed specifically for supporting your lubrication practices.
• Cost effective instrument for lubrication engineers
• Simple to operate
• Keeps your hands free to lubricate with the help of mounting bracket or belt holster
Key advantages of UE Systems Ultrasound Bearing program
Ultrasound requires limited training need:
• Implementation process is fast & integrates easy into existing programs
• Data Management Software easy to use and creates the reports you need
• For each level of engineers a program to fit your needs
• Transfer of existing programs is easy, making it long term sustainable
• DMS and Spectralyser software packages are license & update free!
• Regular updates available on this website for added reporting functions
Global presence & support:
• Multinational sites can be supported locally
• Comparison of multiple plant data / benchmarking
• Technical support available to our customers
4Cast by UE Systems – Bearing Condition Monitoring System
Save time, save your bearings and improve plant reliability.
UE Systems, the world leader in ultrasonic inspection instruments and solutions, has launched the 4Cast – a smart alert system for bearings monitoring, that records data and sounds continuously, issues alarms and sends data and sound samples to specialized software for analysis and reporting.
Data along with sound samples can be reviewed and analyzed to determine the condition of a bearing just before, during and after a change in alarm status. This provides important information to help understand what happened and when it happened.
Permanently installed transducers continuously monitor bearing condition 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All data is stored locally. Should a change in condition occur and a pre-established alarm level is entered, the system, via the plant’s Ethernet will issue an alarm notification, enter data and sound samples into UE DMS data management system until the alarm condition has been reversed.
The 4Cast system is remarkably flexible. Users can schedule condition sampling by minutes, hours, days, even weeks. An alarm level can be set to note a condition change, for example 8 dB over baseline for a lack of lubrication alarm. Once an alarm is triggered, the user can set the number of readings prior to, during and after the alarm for analysis.
Analyze how and why the alarm went off
1. When a set alarm level is reached or exceeded, the system will send previously logged data and recorded sounds directly to Ultratrend DMS for review.
2. After an alarm has been addressed, all data and sound recordings stored during the alarm period can be set to transfer to the computer for more detailed analysis and reporting.
Each 4Cast box monitors up to four bearings.
The 4Cast is meant to be user together with the UE systems permanently mounted Remote Access Sensors.
Ultraprobe 15.000IS Kit by UE Systems
Two powerful inspection tools in just one package! With the 15.000IS you can inspect almost everything, anywhere.
Combining the versatility of the Ultraprobe 15.000 Touch and the ability to inspect in hazardous areas with the Ultraprobe 9000ATEX, the 15.000IS Kit is the most comprehensive product in the market for ultrasonic inspection. It is the perfect solution to start an Ultrasound program which needs to reach hazardous areas as well.
With the 15.000IS kit it’s possible to divide routes into required and non-required EX rated inspection zones. Use the Ultraprobe 9000ATEX as a screening tool to test the hazardous areas and the Ultraprobe 15.000 for the rest of the plant.
Leak Detection (compressed air, gases, vacuum, etc...); Steam Traps & Valves Inspection; Bearings Inspection and Lubrication; Electrical Inspection.
The Ultraprobe® 15.000 Plus IS Package includes:
• Ultraprobe 15.000 Touch Digital Unit
This advanced ultrasonic instrument can perform on-board spectral analysis, record the sounds of test equipment, measure and record temperature, take photographs with flash, store and manage data. The Ultraprobe 15.000 utilizes touch screen technology. This unique feature uses Icons to easily control and maneuver around any of the Ultraprobe's display screens. Touching the screen allows you to be able to view decibel level, temperature, control sensitivity, change frequency, view an FFT and record sounds and images.
• Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX Digital Ultrasonic Inspection System
The Ultraprobe 9000 housing with a digital LCD Display and an LED backlight. FM Rated Intrinsically Safe: Class I, Division 1, Groups C & D.
• Tri-Sonic Scanning Module for locating airborne ultrasound (ATEX Rated)
• Rubber Focusing Probe for narrowing reception field & for shielding ambient ultrasounds
• LRM Long Range Module to increase detection range
• Stethoscope Module (contact type) for monitoring internally generated ultrasounds (ATEX Rated)
• 2 Battery Rechargers with Spare Battery & External Recharging POD for the Ultraprobe 15.000
• Extension Probe Kit to increase stethoscope contact range to 31 inches
• Warble Tone Generator
• RAS-MT Magnetic Sensor with BNC connection readable with the Ram Module
• RAM Adaptor enabling the Ultraprobe 15.000 to read RAS sensors
• Deluxe Noise Isolating Headset for use with hardhat
• SD Card to USB Reader (allows reading of SD to PC via USB port)
• Zero Halliburton Case
• Spectralyzer Sound Analysis Software / Ultratrend Data Management Software
For more information on the Ultraprobe 15.000IS Kit, please contact UE Systems.
UE Sytems Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX Kit
Because maintenance activities in hazardous environments can be a challenge, UE Systems has the perfect solution: the Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX - a digital ultrasonic inspection, information, storage and retrieval system that’s versatile, easy to use and with a complete kit of useful accessories.
How does it work?
The Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX is extremely easy to use and most operators can learn how to use it in 15 minutes!
Whether used for troubleshooting or a pre-planned route, this instrument will help maintenance professionals move through inspections very quickly. The easy-to-read display panel offers calibrated decibel readout and a 16-segment bar graph, which instantly registers sound intensity changes.
Data is easily viewed on the display panel and stored with the push of a button. It can later be transferred to a computer and analysed using UE Systems license-free Ultratrend DMS software.
The Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX is a unique instrument due to its high versatility. It can be used for diverse applications:
• Data Based Mechanical Inspection and trending
Bearing Conditions | Cavitation | Gears/Gear Boxes | Pumps/Motors | Lubrication Programs Optimization
• Data Based Leak Detection/ Energy Audits
Compressed Air | Compressed Gases (O2, NO, etc.) | Vacuum Leaks | Seals and Gaskets | Condenser Tubes | Cockpit Windows | Hatches | Boilers | Heat Exchangers | Valves | Steam Traps
• Electrical Detection
Arcing | Tracking | Corona | Switchgear | Transformers | Insulators | Relays | Bus Bars
Because the Ultraprobe 9000 is ATEX rated, you can use it in hazardous or EX zones (groups C & D) without the need for exempt or work permits for this instrument.
• FM & CSA approved intrinsically safe:
Class I, division 1, groups C & D | ATEX group IIB | CE approved | Concerned gasses: methane-propane-ethylene
The Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX comes with a complete kit to help maintenance professionals get the most out of it and improve to the maximum their inspection practices:
Tri-Sonic Scanning Module for locating airborne ultrasound | Rubber Focusing Probe for narrowing reception field & shielding ambient ultrasounds | Stethoscope Module (contact type) for monitoring internally generated ultrasounds | Extension Probe Kit to increase stethoscope contact range to 31 inches | Warble Tone Generator | Deluxe Industrial Noise Isolating Headset for Hardhat Use | Battery Recharger | Zero Haliburton Aluminum Carrying Case |Free licence of UE Systems DMS software for data analysis and report | 5-year warranty
More information on the Ultraprobe 9000 ATEX Kit and its applications can be obtained by contacting UE Systems.