Tom is widely recognized as a leading practitioner in the global Natural Resources market with over 28 years of commercial exposure gained through broad ranging senior roles in trading, investment, advisory, commodity project management & trade finance. Roles which have enabled him to gain a holistic industry perspective, covering a full range of supply chain /operations, derivatives, physical markets, funds management and banking & finance and across many countries in Africa, Europe, Middle East, and the Asia Pacific. He holds a Masters Degree in Energy Risk Management from Middlesex University London, and is awaiting the award of DProf PHD in Commercial Risk Management. Tom has been a member of the Energy Institute since 1991.
As well as having served as a Senior Energy Advisor to the United States Department of Defense (TFBSO), Tom is a prolific published writer, documenting his expertise through a series of books and publications with Wiley and Palgrave Macmillan. Alongside his commercial roles he has been able to share his experiential learning with industry peers & students through various advisory & academic appointments.
Tom has setup the risk management in energy and commodities for many end users in roles at Credit Lyonnais Bank, Credit Agricole Bank and Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi in Asia and Europe.
Tom moved to Singapore to establish both Navitas Resources Pte Ltd in 2009 and a global marine fuel procurement & trading system (NR-X) in 2010. Navitas Resources is a best practice risk management advisory firm covering Energy & Commodity markets. In 2016 he co-founded NR Capital to create a Trade Finance Solution, offering off balance sheet assistance to SME commodity & energy trading firms looking for funding solutions for shipments and storage of commodities and prepayment structures. NR Capital operates a digital platform to reduce costs and make transactions more secure, utilising electronic Bills of Lading and Title registry and digitally signed physical supply agreements.
Tom James Selection of Advisory & Academic Appointments
- Distinguished Professor LNG business University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES) Asia.
- Petronet LNG sponsored Chair Professor (UPES) LNG business (2006 to 2014).
- Senior Energy Advisor to United States Department of Defense (TFBSO) (2014)
- Adjust Professor UNIST university of science and technology, South Korea, 2016 & 2017
- Executive Visiting Faculty and Researcher Singapore Management University, International Trading Institute 2011-2014
- Former Executive Faculty MBA Oil & Gas Program, Middlesex University London, UK 2013-2014
- Cass Business School, Dubai, MENA Advisory Board Member 2013-2015